Trump entered office as the most unpopular president-elect in modern times. After a week of lies, alternative facts, and radical, sweeping executive orders, a new poll shows that Americans expect Trump will be the worst president since Richard Nixon.
Perhaps as troubling for the Trump administration is the public’s rejection of his specific policies. A new poll by Public Policy Polling shows the American people are overwhelmingly opposed to Trump’s extreme agenda. Here are some of the numbers, from Public Policy Polling:
- A mere 34% of voters want America to build a wall with Mexico if American taxpayers have to pay up front for it (which is what Trump is proposing)
- The Affordable Care Act is reaching record levels of popularity, with only 41% opposed to the law. Only 30% of voters think the best plan is to repeal the act and start over, while 61% would prefer Congress to keep the Affordable Care Act and fix parts that aren’t working.
- 59% of voters think Trump needs to release his tax returns.
- 61% of voters think Trump needs to fully divest from his business interests, to only 28% who don’t think it’s necessary for him to do that.
- 58% of voters say they think the intelligence agencies have more credibility than Trump, with only 21% thinking Trump has more credibility
- 50% of voters think CNN has more credibility than Trump, with only 40% thinking Trump has more credibility.
For a man seemingly obsessed with poll numbers, these results should serve as a serious wake up call.